Tuesday 20 January 2015

Beautiful but Basic living in Carriacou

The Island of Carriacou in the Carribbean is currently teaching us to experience and explore the basics in life again. There is no variety of milk in the refrigeration, there is only one milk, some fancy healthy products that I got used to ...use in my cooking are not found in any grocery store. There is only one brand of sugar available, thankfully its brown sugar and the variety of fruit and vegetable is limited to the season in the country. Tomatoes are not in season…… the potatoes are coming in all sizes and shapes …..watermelons are the size of a medicine ball…….star fruits have got brown edges and far away from looking perfect, however they are still delicious. Fruit juices and soft drinks are really expensive here so we are drinking the water we make from the sea. I am really glad that I still have some of my virgin coconut oil and olive oil when I stocked up n St. Martin. Everyone’s need is still met here on the island. The bus that takes you around the island to the next town is stopping for everyone that stands alongside the road and looking for a ride. The old lady’s bag was leaking so the driver stops and gets a new bag for her out of the stop. Someone else needs something from the shop down the road, and he stops and we all wait until they finish fetching that last bits and pieces they need to complete their shopping. The driver passes the bakery van and stops, and gets his lunch while asking everyone on the bus, do you need anything else. No one is on a tight schedule, everyone is in on everyone’s shopping list.

Living with the basics, hardly any internet access I have notices how slow live has become. We actually have got time for each other, we talk and play board games with each other. There are actually moments where I sit and think hmmm what could I do next ( believe me there is always something to do on the boat), but it is not that I am constantly chasing my tail because there is so much I would like or need to fit into the day. We have truly come back to the basic what I enjoy in life…time for and with each other and enjoying it while doing it.
Gabriele Shivanidevi Oltersdorf's photo.Gabriele Shivanidevi Oltersdorf's photo.Gabriele Shivanidevi Oltersdorf's photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment